Mouth to snout saves dog

by Leanne Thompson on November 2, 2011

A golden Labrador retriever had a lucky escape when he was carried out by Wisconsin firefighters after a fire spread through his owner’s home.

Three people and three other animals had already been pulled from the fire, thankfully unharmed, but Coda had not been quite so lucky and the Labrador retriever had received mouth-to-snout resuscitation in order to help him breathe again.

Kim Carlson, the owner of the house, spoke to ABC News, telling them she was concerned her dog was sadly dead when firefighters carried him, limp and lifeless, out from the upstairs bedroom he had been found in.

Jamie Giese, Coda’s hero firefighter, was quick to help the injured dog. Giese cupped his hands right around Coda’s muzzle and started to breathe in to his mouth to aid his breathing. Other fighfighter members helped Giese by dousing the dog with cool water to try and help Coda regain his strength.

“The only thing we could do was mouth to snout. I didn’t think twice about it,” Giese stated. He wasn’t too sure how much time he spent assisting before Coda started to breathe by himself again, but “it felt like forever.”

A few days after this terrifying incident, family members told ABC News that Coda was now thriving. Carlson spoke about her dog:

“He’s perfect, he’s absolutely wonderful, he’s got a little bit of cough, and we’re assuming it’s phlegm from the smoke, but he did real good.”

Officials believe the blaze was due to a damaged box fan. This was very unfortunate timing for the fan to malfunction, as Coda had only been brought home by the family two days previous.

On hearing about this incident, veterinarian, Brandy Kosterman stated:

“These people definitely went above and beyond. There’s no question that the firemen saved this dog.”

[youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51c9E1AoFhA]

Guide dog savaged in Bull Terrier attack

by Mark James on October 24, 2011

A seeing eye dog was left covered in blood after it was attacked by another dog in a supermarket in Leith.

The savage incident lasted more than five minutes, as staff leaped to the defence of two-year-old Una and tried repeatedly to free her from the jaws of a bull terrier in the Duke Street outlet of Tesco.

Elaine MacKenzie, who owns Una, recounted the terrifying incident to The Scotsman:

“I popped in to do a bit of shopping and as I walked towards the exit I stopped to make sure I’d put everything in my bag and all of a sudden this dog, that was tied to the shopping baskets holder, just flew at us.

“Una made a noise that can only be described as a scream as this dog got hold (more…)

Guide dog who saved owner during 9/11 attack wins posthumous award

by Darren Jamieson on October 11, 2011

A labrador who saved its blind owner during to 2001 terrorist attack on the Twin Towers has been posthumously honoured as American Hero Dog of the Year.

Michael Hingson was sat at his desk in his place of work on the morning of September 11th on the 78th floor of the north World Trade Centre tower when American Airlines flight 11 devastated the building 18 levels above him. Unlike many unfortunate victims, Mr Hingson lived to tell his tale thanks to Roselle, his guide dog.

Cool as a cucumber, the labrador led Mr Hingson, who is blind, down 1,463 steps to exit the (more…)

Dogs detect deadly disease

by Mark James on August 26, 2011

Dogs – they fetch your slippers, find drugs, bite rioters on the crotch and confound your postman, but it seems they can claim another talent – sniffing out lung cancer.

A new report in the European Respiratory Journal by German boffins conclude that your pooch may be able to detect lung cancer by smelling your breath. Although the team worked with just four dogs – an Australian Shepherd, a Labrador and a brace of German Shepherds – the success rate was remarkable. In 100 samples from lung cancer sufferers, they were able to (more…)

Hero dog back on the frontline

by Mark James on August 4, 2011

A bomb sniffing dog who was injured by the Taliban in a grenade attack is back on the front line.

Hobo, a black Labrador, was hit by three pieces of shrapnel from a grenade launched by Taliban forces whilst he was on patrol with 2nd Battalion the Royal Gurkha Rifles.

hoboThe battalion came under fire whilst on patrol in the Nahr-e Saraj area of Helmand Province. Bleeding profusely from a neck wound, Hobo was given emergency first aid and was airlifted back to base along with several injured troops.

Captain George Shipman, who led the patrol, leaped into action to save Hobo’s life.

The 28-year-old, who is part of 29 Commando Royal Artillery and is (more…)

Grandmother tagged by magistrates for animal cruelty

by Leanne Thompson on July 31, 2011

A grandmother was hauled before a magistrate and told to wear a tag – all because she couldn’t bear to put her dog down.

Pauline Spoor could not face having her 18-year-old labrador Dexter euthanised, even though he was struggling to walk and was suffering from a variety of ailments.

chocolate-labradorThe RSPCA forced their way into the 71-year-old’s home and found the elderly Dexter to be suffering from a range of medical problems, including arthritis, loss of fur and conjunctivitis. After charging Mrs Spoor with animal cruelty, the poor pooch was taken away and put down by a veterinarian a day later.

On appearing before the beak at Tameside Magistrates, Mrs Spoor, who was (more…)

Eating strange substance could have caused dog’s death

by Darren Jamieson on June 17, 2011

A Labrador that ate green slime while on a walk on a beach in the Wirral sadly died only hours after.

The dog ate the strange substance and within hours was suffering from diarrhoea and vomiting and was rushed to the vets. Unfortunately he died shortly afterwards from acute shock. Mr McNulty, who tried to treat the dog at Hoylake Vets, was quoted in the Wirral Globe just after the incident:

“The owner had taken his two dogs for a walk and both were seen sniffing around this green slime. He saw one of the dogs eat something and was later plagued with severe vomiting and diarrhoea. Unfortunately the Labrador (more…)

Blind man told to leave cafe because of dog

by Mark James on June 16, 2011

Andrew Lee, of Princess Court in Trumpington of Cambridge, entered the Tudor Rose cafe last May with a friend and Vinnie, his guide dog, to get a cooked breakfast but when they walked in a waitress immediately asked them to leave.

Mr Lee stated:

“I went into the café in Mill Road with a friend last Wednesday. The waitress came up and said you can’t have any dogs in here.”

He tried to talk to the cafe manager but they still maintained that he must leave.

To avoid confrontation, the three left (more…)

Rescue dog up for bravery award

by Mark James on May 14, 2011

A Greater Manchester service dog has been nominated for a bravery award.

The Dogs Trust charity is considering 7 year old, golden Labrador, Echo for the award after he went to Haiti to help try and find victims of the Earthquake disaster that struck there in 2010.

The rescue dog had to cope with a range of difficult factors while he was out there. Temperatures were around 38C and, a week into the rescue efforts, Echo became ill with heat exhaustion and had to be placed on a drip. He also had to (more…)

Guide dog is Man’s best friend’s best friend

by Mark James on April 13, 2011

Guide dogs and their owners have an especially close relationship, and Edward had served his master faithfully for the last six years. So, when Edward began to succumb to glaucoma, his owner thought of a novel solution to the problem.

Graham Waspe, from Stowmarket, decided to adopt a second guide dog to assist him and Edward in getting around. The new dog, 2 year old Opal, soon became firm friends with them both, and now fills in (more…)

« Newer PostsOlder Posts »
Dream Dogs