Dog saves owner from fire

by Clare Jones on October 11, 2008

In a scene reminiscent of Lassie or the Littlest Hobo, a dog in Wales saved his elderly owner from a house fire last week. The man, strangely enough named John Wayne, from Holywell in Wales, had fallen asleep in his chair after attempting to cook some food. He had however left the food cooking on the stove, and it had caught fire, threatening to engulf his home.

It was then that his dog alerted him to the fire by barking at him, allowing him to wake up and escape the fire.

Mr Wayne was very lucky to have been saved by his dog as he didn’t have smoke alarms fitted in his home. A fire safety officer, Mike Hough, said how lucky John was to escape the fire.

This incident once again highlights the dangers of leaving cooking unattended.

It was pure luck that this man was alerted to the fire by his pet dog.

I cannot over emphasise how vitally important it is to have working smoke alarms in the home, which should be checked regularly – they provide an early warning signal which is crucial in helping people to escape safely.

Would your dog alert you if a fire broke out?

No Comments »

There are no comments on this yet, be the first to write a comment.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Have your say!

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud

Dream Dogs