What do I do if my dog is stung by a bee?

by Vivien Richardson on April 23, 2010

All dogs, especially puppies, love to chase their toys and run after anything that moves… including insects.

Insects such as a bee or a wasp will soon teach a curious dog not to mess with them. However, a bee or wasp sting under normal circumstances can bring about minor pain and irritation for your dog.

On the more serious side of this subject, if your dog receives more than one sting, either inside the mouth or on the throat, it can be dangerous. If this occurs then rush him to the nearest vet to get rid of the injected poison. A bee will sting your dog, leave the sting in the skin and then die. However, a wasp sting is not barbed and is more painful, therefore more dangerous to your dog.

Dogs can be stung if they get too close to a bee or a wasp, and the reaction could cause your dog to become weak, have difficulty in breathing and a swelling could occur around the face, neck and shoulders.

These types of stings are dangerous as your dog’s breathing could be seriously affected with the swelling blocking off the airways to the throat.

If your dog receives a sting and it is visible, only remove it, if you can, by scraping it out with a long fingernail. Do not use tweezers as they will squeeze out more poison. Take a mug of water and add baking soda, dab it on the affected area to reduce the pain or place an icepack on the wound.

If your dog still appears to be unwell after 24 hours then take them to the vet.

No Comments »

There are no comments on this yet, be the first to write a comment.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Have your say!

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud

Dream Dogs