Dogs have always been great, friendly companions, hence the Man’s Best Friend title, but nothing comes close to the valuable help provided by a Yorkshire Terrier named Maisie, who recently alerted an owner that his house was up in flames. The local canine managed to use initiative to run to the location of the owner and encourage him to come home and find help for the situation.
On Saturday 21st January 2012 at approximately 6pm, Maisie noticed flames and smoke bellowing from a house in Limes Road, in the Hardwick area. Mr. Whitmore, the owner of the house resides there with some lodgers, as well as his wife and children. At the time of the incident, Mr. Whitmore was in his local sports and social club, before he was greeted by Maisie, smelling of smoke.
Maisie impressed local neighbours after running a total of 350 yards from the burning building to the local sports and social club. Maisie was in the kitchen of the building when the blaze started, which is said to have begun as a result of something being cooked on the hob. When Mr. Whitmore was alerted of the incident, he called fire fighters.
An hour after the beginning of the fire, the fire department put the fire out with the use of breathing equipment. Thankfully, due to the Yorkshire Terrier’s fast reaction, no one was hurt in the process. Although the bottom floor of Mr. Whitmore’s house was badly affected by smoke, it appears that only the kitchen really experienced the majority of damage from flames.
Please log in again. The login page will open in a new tab. After logging in you can close it and return to this page.