Miniature dog in full body cast

He might look like the canine version of ‘The Mummy’ but Fudge is a very lucky dog indeed. The miniature pinscher, named Fudge (possibly because he’s the size of a finger of fudge) is just twelve inches high, which makes him easy to pick on for bigger, bully dogs. Fudge was attacked by a giant Japanese Akita, which grabbed Fudge by the throat, breaking his little neck.

It was thought that Fudge wouldn’t survive, never mind walk again, but Fudge was a very determined little dog, and thanks to a large amount of plaster (relatively speaking for Fudge, not that much to the rest of us) Fudge looks like making a full recovery.

Fudge was going for a walk in January when he was attacked, and has been in the plaster for four weeks recovering from his injuries, which included a broken bone in his back.

Now, as we approach the end of March, Fudge is back on his paws and ready for walkies once again. A big thanks goes to the animal charity PDSA PetAid, in West Yorkshire. John Taylor from the charity stated:

The x-rays showed he had a broken neck, his second vertebra. The prognosis for such injuries isn’t good.

His extensive injuries meant Fudge was unable to stand or use his front legs. The odds of him walking again were certainly stacked against him, but we weren’t going to give up easily.

Fudge was strapped into a full body cast so that he couldn’t move, as any movement would have risked permanent injury, or worse. Fudge had two further casts fitted to his tiny frame over the month, as John Taylor explains:

Fudge wasn’t able to walk or stand up in his cast so he needed extensive nursing care. He received physiotherapy and massages every day to get his legs working again.

The brave little dog’s owner was delighted to have his pooch back home again, proclaiming:

We were on our way home when a young lad with a huge dog walked past.

My Fudge is a friendly little chap so he stopped just for a sniff, as dogs do. Without warning, the other dog grabbed Fudge by the throat and started shaking him around like a rag doll.

It was a terrifying attack and though we eventually separated the dogs I honestly thought he was dead. His body was limp, there were wounds on his neck and he wasn’t making a sound. I rushed him straight to the PDSA fearing the worst.

I was so worried about him after his ordeal, every time PDSA called to update me I feared it could be bad news. But his recovery has been wonderful. I can’t praise PDSA enough. The staff treated him like one of their own, I’m eternally grateful.

Dream Dogs is pleased to hear that Fudge has made a full recovery, against the odds.