When your dog starts to rattle, you know it’s time to take him to the vet. Chris Morrison did, and when he took his five-year-old Labrador to the vet he found his dog had swallowed thirteen golf balls.
The Labrador, named Oscar, would often go for walkies around the Pitreavie golf course, where he decided that the abandoned golf balls represented a healthy snack. Far from being the healthy, the thirteen golf balls remained ‘undigested’ in Oscar’s stomach, with one of them even having turned black.
His owner, Chris, stated:
I felt Oscar’s stomach and heard them rattling around.
He normally picks up golf balls and brings them home but must have been swallowing some all along. I take him out early in the morning and late at night, normally around the areas of the ninth and 12th fairways.
He hunts them down like truffles. He finds them in all sorts of places where golfers lose them.
Oscar’s vet, Bob Hesketh, was pulling golf ball after golf ball from the Labrador’s stomach:
I opened him up and felt what I thought were two or three golf balls.
But they just kept coming until we had a bag full.
I think they must have been in there for several months. One was all black and the shell was swollen.
It’s incredible really. We occasionally find things like bottle corks but this is a bit different.
If you’ve lost a golf ball at the Pitreavie golf course in Dunfermline, chances are it ended up in the stomach of Oscar the Labrador.
Please log in again. The login page will open in a new tab. After logging in you can close it and return to this page.